Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The 27,000 Year Old Young Lady

Sculpture as science or art? Does it matter?

Reconstructed head of a girl thought to be 27,000 years old.

Update:

Okay, here's some information and a video link that sheds a little more light on this young lady of (yes) 27 Thousand Years Ago.

Quoting from this video post, these would be the remains of a Gravettian Cro-Magnon of Sungir/Russia. As an upper-paleolithic person, she was part of the base of the Cro-Magnoid element in the later Finno-Ugrians.

In this video you will see several individuals recreated, and even a full-color rendering of what this particular girl might have looked like in the flesh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Sorry for my English. I am from Greece. I like your blog. I would like to ask you for more information about your nice post because I searched for it in the internet and I did not find anything.

Thank you.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Hi, thanks for asking, but I have no other information. This is an image from my image morgue, saved from years ago, with no information attached except for the quoted caption.

Now that I have a blog I've started saving all information associated with an image. But so many of my 'morgue' images were clipped well before anyone ever heard of a blog.

phf said...

27000 years seems a long time...a typo perhaps? 2700 seems more reasonable...

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Doing a little research (which I was trying to avoid during this heavy deadline period) indicates this is a "European Early Modern Human" which is the modern scientific term for what many still call Cro-Magnon. The time period is indeed 27 to 28,000 years ago. There is more information about this find that I will gather and add as an update.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much!:-)

Tororo said...

Wow. I found this image fascinating. I have read this post first time some days ago, before it got comments, and have been pondering for some time wether I would have sounded preposterous if I were to ask for more information... thanks so much for your answers to the previous comments, and for the link you just posted!