Monday, May 10, 2010

Savage Pellucidar

This is the Frazetta print that is currently on my wall, originally the cover image for ERB's Savage Pellucidar. I don't love everything Frazetta ever did, but Frazetta is still the best after all these years.

For those who don't read comments (and why don't you?) Joe Jusko brought up the point that this is a perfect 'clump' composition.

And again for those who don't read comments, I explained to those who don't know, "that a 'clump' is the term Roy Krenkel used to use for a simplified interesting silhouette shape. Frazetta was actually quite proud of this piece, as he was sometimes pretty critical of his other artwork."

Thanks Joe.

C'mon folks, more important than reading comments, WRITE some!

4 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

That image is one of my favourites.

Joe Jusko said...

The perfect "clump" composition.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Yes, precisely so.

For those who may not know, 'a clump' is the term Roy Krenkel used to use for a simplified interesting silhouette. Frazetta was actually quite proud of this piece, as he was sometimes pretty critical of his other artwork.

Eric said...

I've been trying to think of something worth saying about Frank for the past day or so. The best I've come up with is that while I can sadly imagine and deal with a world without him, I cannot imagine a world where he never existed. His work and influence are so great I cannot imagine what it would have been like without him.

I would love to see some good collections of his comic book work; most of his DC stuff (other than possibly Spores from Space) I've never seen a clean reprint of. Shining Knight in particular hasn't fared well; I've gotten most of the original issues and they are stunning. The reprints just don't do them justice at all.