Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Monster Men

This very cool and iconic cover by William Stout depicts a scene from Edgar Rice Burrough's adventure novel, The Monster Men. And you thought Frazetta had the lock on that.

And below, check out the loyally modeled 13" figurine, here posed and photographed in the great out-of-doors. ERBdom comes to life. I'm hoping someone was smart enough to hire Stout to be concept artist and graphic adaptation novelist for ERB's A Princess of Mars, the Disney (!) PG-13 movie.


5 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

The Monster Men was one of my favourite ERB books when I was a kid. The copy I had featured a cover by Boris Vallejo. I've never seen this illustration and the statue is a bonus!

I loved Stout's poster for Bakshi's 1977 animated film WIZARDS.

Mark Mayerson said...

Did Stout do the sculpt?

E.G.Palmer said...

I'm actually fairly terrified about what Hollywood will do to John Carter of Mars. What I've read so far indicates that they intend to inflict the standard treatment of pasting contemporary values on period characters and lathering a coating of CGI over everything.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Mark--I don't think so, but I can't be sure.

EG--I agree. 'John Carter' is one of the greatest potential fantasy movie properties that is so likely to be done wrong.

Doruk said...

Not to forget that everyone was practically naked in John Carter. I am not sure how they will get around that, considering standard Hollywood prudishness.